'poo Free and Extra Oily

The title got you, didn't it? You sicko ;)
Ok, and first of all, could I look any more DRAMAtic in this photo!?

Anyway, here's a plea from Me...

After, reading what I am about to write, please do not unsubscribe to this blog, I sort of like having you around.

Ok... here we go...

1. I have decided to stop shampooing and conditioning my hair...like...altogether...

and

2. I have started cleansing my face with...oil...

[What!? Gasp! BLASPHEMY! Who does she think she is!? Girl be CRAZY.]

I know how this sounds. 
And yes, I will still be shaving my legs.
And no, I will not be going by the name Tree Willow from now on. 
I am still Brie. I am still me. Just a tad more conscious. 

See... here's the thing. Despite my previous lack of enthusiasm and occcccasional eye rolling at the whole "go green" and "simple living" craze. I can no longer turn a blind eye to all the C.R.A.P we put in our products, food, and thus our bodies.

This is new for me, but I have to start somewhere. Therefore, for the next month I have decided to experiment with these two simple changes, and see if all the hype is true. From everything I've read, women SWEAR up and down about the following two health recipes I am going to share with you. So far I have only tried the face cleansing regiment, and it's remarkable the difference I am already seeing.

I promise to document and update you on what I think, and any changes that I see. I'll be the first to admit my skepticism, so you can count on me that I'll surely be honest (probably to my detriment).

If anyone wants to go along for the ride with me, here are the recipes.

No 'poo for You...and Me:

My reasons (as explained by simplemom.net):


1. Shampoo is a detergent.

Shampoo cleans your hair, but it also strips it of all the healthy oil your body naturally produces. These oils protect your hair and keep it soft and strong.
Shampoo was only introduced in the early 20th century — before that, people relied on good-old soap, which can wash hair just as well without removing important oils. But soap doesn’t work well in alkaline water, and when water in civilized areas started becoming more mineral-heavy (read: alkaline), soap became a challenge. It made the scales on hair stand up, making it weaker and rougher. So shampoo was introduced, marketed with its only benefit of working in both hard and soft water.
Detergent is harsh. I doubt we’d use the same type of stuff to wash our bodies as we would our dishes, but that’s essentially what we’re doing with shampoo.

2. Shampoo has all sorts of chemicals. 

Our family typically goes out of our way to not eat boxed chemicals disguised as food — we stick to the natural, whole foods that either come from the ground or once ate things that came from the ground. But skin is our largest organ, and it’s extremely porous — substances can easily enter the bloodstream directly through our skin, and they can stay for a long time.


Since we try to avoid food that has unpronounceable ingredients, we thought it only made sense to adhere to the same standards for the stuff we slather on our skin. Since this includes shampoo, we sought out an alternative.
Most shampoos also contain mineral oil, which is a byproduct when gasoline is distilled from crude oil. It’s added to shampoo (along with hundreds of other products) to thickly coat the strands, giving hair an artificial shine. And since it can’t absorb into skin, like the other ingredients, it acts as a barrier on our scalp, preventing oil from being released — thus requiring more shampoo to strip away the grease. This is why the more shampoo you use, the more you need.


The Recipe:

You will need: 
* 2 empty squeeze bottles (can be found at CVS or Rite-Aid)
* Baking Soda
* Apple Cider Vinegar

1. Take one squeeze bottle and label it for your Baking Soda Mixture
2. Pour in 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda to one cup of water and shake until dissolved fully
3. Take your other squeeze bottle and label it for your Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Mixture
4. Pour in 1 Tablespoon of ACV to one cup of water and shake until dissolved fully

The Steps:

1. Soak hair with water, then squeeze a bit of the baking soda mixture onto the scalp, starting at the crown.

2. Massage it in, squeezing a bit more here and there, but concentrating mostly on the scalp. Include the rest of your hair as well, but since most of the oils originate from the scalp itself, the hair will naturally get cleaned once the scalp is clarified.

3. After a few minutes, rinse it out, just like you would shampoo. 

4. Next, take the apple cider vinegar mixture. REMEMBER, a little goes a long way! Squeeze a small amount into your hands, and work through the ends of your hair. 

5. Let sit for a minute and then rinse out.

I've been told that there is a bit of a "transition phase" with this, while it takes your hair a little getting use to to no longer produce all of this excess oil. That is probably the one thing I am not looking forward to.

But, for my helpful info, as well as tips, check out Simple Mom's post HERE

Next, Oil Me...
My Reasons (as explained by Simple Mom):

Alright, it might sound a little odd to clean your face with an oil, especially if you have oily skin. But contrary to popular belief, oil does not cause oily skin or acne. That culprit is usually a combination of hormones, trapped bacteria, and dirt. 
Like your hair, the sebum that the skin secretes is actually good for your skin — it’s there to protect it from the outside environment, and to keep harmful things from seeping in. Since water doesn’t break up oil, most commercial cleansers are marketed with the “oil free” stamp of approval, making them easy to splash off. When skin’s natural oils are removed, the body’s reaction is to compensate by producing more oil, much like shampoo does with our hair. Or if your skin is dry, it’s because all the oil has been stripped away, and your body doesn’t compensate by replenishing it (that was my case).

The Recipe:

* Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
* Castor Oil
* Small Empty squeeze bottle

The Steps:

1. Mix equal parts EVOO with Castor Oil (1 Tablespoon to 1 Tablespoon) and pour into the tiny squeeze bottle

2. Start by splashing your face with water, and allow your make-up to run. Just rinse off as much of your "face" as possible.

3. Squeeze a small amount into the palm of your hand (no bigger than a quarter) and begin to massage into your skin (yep, even with the make up)

4. Take a wash cloth and run it under hot water. Place wash cloth to your face, and allow it to act as a steaming agent. Keep it there until the cloth has reached room temperature.

5. Place the wash cloth under the sink again, and begin to wipe off the remaining oil.

Voila! You're done! Your face feels incredibly soft and smooth! If you're like me, you will already see a difference in its vibrancy!

For tips if you have oily to dry skin, or for more information, check out Simple Mom's post HERE

Welp...here goes nothing! Worse case scenario, I hate it, and I return to my old ways. Best case, the hype is true and I never look back! Excited to share my findings with you all!
xo.

1 comment: