Remember when...

...I confessed I wasn't that domestic? 
Last night gave me proof.
Oh but I do try so so hard! 
And I do think that one day all my trying will pay off and Martha Stuwart will show up on my doorstep, and I will get to teach her a thing or two! 
heh heh heh...
(At least that's how it all goes down in my head)

See...I, along with the rest of the known world, have just discovered how amazing, and wonderful, and delightful spaghetti squash is. It's an awesome replacement for the carby goodness, aka the real stuff, but with barely any calories! AND healthy! Bonus!
My tastebuds first sang of its praises at my friend Rebecca's 30th birthday dinner, and I have vowed to try my hand at it ever since.

So, last night was the night. I could feel it.

I was even stoked that my cute little squash came with its own cute little label of..
...wait for it...
DIRECTIONS!
(I know!!)

I followed the directions to the "T"

1. Microwave squash for 2-3 minutes to soften the skin...CHECK!
2. Carefully cut the squash in 1/2 and scoop out the seeds....annnnd this is where it got a little tricky
 It took me 20 minutes just to cut the dang thing open. 
Not to mention my poor squash lost 1/2 of its 1/2 of his body in the process.
But I didn't let this deter me! I was on a roll!

3. Season and place face down in a microwavable dish with 1/2 inch of water...CHECK!
4. Microwave for 10 minutes...CHECK!
5. Let cool and then begin to scrape the body length wise to make your "spaghetti"....Uhhh Check...?

See, this is where I should have listened to my instincts.
Instincts: "Hmmm...the texture doesn't really feel too...spaghetti like...? Well, it is healthy...maybe that's how it is suppose to be? Was Becca's like this...?"

I ignored my instincts.

Added a bit of smart butter, some spaghetti sauce, a little parmesan cheese and...
Voila! Dinner was served.

The Man sits down.. "Mmmm Babe, it looks so good!" 

Takes a bite...

"CRUNCH....CRUNCH, CRUNCH..."
(pauses mid crunch)

Husband: "How long did you cook this for?"
Me: I followed the directions! Why...is it wrong?"
Husband (trying to be polite): "Umm.. no.. I think it might just be a little... undercooked.."

"CRUNCH....CRUNCH, CRUNCH..."

And then nothing but shear giggles from both of us.

My spaghetti squash was still totally raw...yet slightly warm. Husband, being the manly man that he is still finished off the whole plate, and even asked me for seconds. That guy...

Dang... and it all started off so promising too!

No comments:

Post a Comment